Intéressant

Bateau volant PBY-1 Catalina consolidé

Bateau volant PBY-1 Catalina consolidé



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Bateau volant PBY-1 Catalina consolidé

Le PBY-1 était la première version de production du Consolidated Catalina, qui serait produit en bien plus grand nombre que tout autre hydravion (et possible en plus grand nombre que tous les autres types d'hydravions réunis !).

Le PBY-1 était essentiellement identique à la version finale du XP3Y-1, utilisant le troisième des trois modèles de gouvernail, qui comportait un bord arrière arrondi au gouvernail à la place des bords droits utilisés sur les modèles précédents.

L'US Navy commanda soixante PBY-1 le 29 juin 1935. Les livraisons commencèrent en octobre 1936 et le premier avion fut confié à l'escadron de patrouille VP-11 à San Diego. Le suivant était le VP-12, qui est devenu célèbre pour avoir piloté son nouvel avion directement de San Diego à Pearl Harbor du 27 au 28 janvier 1937, après un vol de 21 heures et 48 minutes.

Le PBY-1 était armé de quatre mitrailleuses, une dans une tourelle de nez, une dans une position tunnel sous la queue et une dans chaque position de taille, derrière des fenêtres coulissantes. Au début, ces quatre canons étaient des mitrailleuses de .30in, mais les pistolets de ceinture ont été rapidement remplacés par des canons de .50in.

Le PBY-1 a été utilisé dans les escadrons de patrouille jusqu'en 1941, lorsque les survivants ont été transférés dans des escadrons d'entraînement ou utilitaires, et le dernier PBY-1 a été officiellement déplacé le 25 novembre 1941. Après l'attaque japonaise sur Pearl Harbor, au moins trois ont été rendus aux opérations de remplacement des avions perdus dans l'attaque, mais ce fut un sursis de courte durée. La plupart des PBY-1 survivants ont ensuite été utilisés comme avions d'entraînement tout au long de la guerre. Le dernier exemplaire a été retiré de la liste des aéronefs actifs de la Marine le 31 janvier 1945.

Moteur : Pratt & Whitney R-1830-64
Puissance : 850cv
Masse brute au décollage : 20 671 lb
Vitesse maximale : 183 mph
Plafond : 23 600 pieds
Charge utile : deux torpilles de 1 525 lb ou 2 000 lb
ou quatre grenades sous-marines de 325 lb
ou quatre bombes de 1 000 livres


Consolidé PBY-5A Catalina

Le premier contrat concernant la construction du PBY-1 Flying Boat a été signé le 29 juin 1935. À mesure que la production augmentait, l'avion a été modifié, impliquant des changements tels qu'un moteur plus puissant, des armements, des installations de transport d'armes, etc. 5 a reçu les fameuses « cloques » sur le côté du fuselage derrière les ailes, et le gouvernail a reçu le design caractéristique des PBY-5 et PBY-5A.

Catalina en Norvège
Le premier Catalina en service norvégien était un hydravion PBY-5B affecté à l'escadrille 1477(N), qui devint plus tard le 333e Escadron. Le 330e Escadron a également piloté des Catalinas pendant un certain temps. Leurs missions consistaient en des patrouilles de reconnaissance sous-marines et des voyages vers la côte norvégienne avec du personnel et de l'équipement. Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, l'armée de l'air a utilisé ce type d'avion pour des opérations de transport et de sauvetage, pour des recherches de harengs, et même pour des chasses aux mines. À l'automne 1953, le 333e Escadron a reçu 6 nouveaux avions PBY-5a Amfibium. Ceux-ci étaient en service jusqu'en 1961. À ce moment-là, le Catalina était en service dans l'armée de l'air depuis près de 20 ans !


Chroniques

Le PBY Catalina continue aujourd'hui son service à l'humanité sans gloire ni honneurs. Elle a pris l'avion pour la guerre, sauvé des vies, mené des missions d'espionnage, été une plate-forme de recherche et d'exploration et protégé nos forêts. À l'aise sur terre, sur mer et dans les airs, elle a bien servi et est aimée des gens qui la connaissaient le mieux. Mais que savons-nous vraiment de son histoire et que pouvons-nous conserver ?


Sa naissance est enregistrée à l'Office des brevets des États-Unis le 31 juillet 1934 et à ce jour, elle vole avec des militaires et des opérateurs privés - à l'âge de 78 ans.

Elle n'a jamais reçu la gloire entourant les B-17, B-24 et divers combattants, mais elle était à chaque bataille de l'équateur aux calottes glaciaires du monde entier. Elle était lente et maladroite et une cible facile à la lumière du jour, mais la nuit, ces qualités douteuses sont devenues des atouts mortels. De nombreux navires ennemis ont été victimes du "Black Cat".


Mais, sa plus grande fierté réside dans son dossier de sauvetage, que ce soit pendant la guerre ou la paix. En volant avec la marine, l'armée et les garde-côtes, le PBY Catalina a sauvé des milliers de vies - un record inégalé par aucun avion de l'histoire.


C'est la mission de la Fondation PBY Catalina de collecter et de préserver les histoires des carnets de vol, des journaux intimes, des rapports d'escadron et des souvenirs verbaux de ceux qui étaient là, de leurs enfants et petits-enfants.

Souvenez-vous : "L'histoire dont on ne se souvient pas est une histoire qui ne s'est jamais produite".

#64017 a quitté la chaîne de production de l'usine de Consolidated Aircraft Corporation à la Nouvelle-Orléans, en Louisiane, en juillet 1945. Il a été livré à la marine américaine à Terminal Island, en Californie, envoyé au VPB-100 à Hawaï, puis aux Philippines dans le cadre de VPB-71. En janvier 1946, l'avion était de retour à Hawaï dans le cadre de la Fleet Air Wing 2, puis basé à NAS Alameda, en Californie. Les transferts continus l'ont amené à la Naval Aircraft Factory à Philadelphie Naval Air Reserve, Atlanta, Georgia Naval Air Reserve, Squantum, Massachusetts NAS San Diego, California Boeing Plant à Seattle pour révision Naval Air Reserve, NAS Niagara Falls, New York et enfin stockage et vente éventuelle à Litchfield Park, Arizona.

Son histoire civile est un peu floue mais nous avons trouvé ce qui suit : Il a d'abord été enregistré aux États-Unis sous les noms N2846D et N5555H. Il a également été utilisé dans les années 60 et 70 comme bombardier incendiaire en France pour la protection civile sous le nom de « Green Pelican » ou F-ZBAV. Le PBY a ensuite eu une période de stockage ouvert à Saint-Jean, Québec, Canada. Elle languissait sous les couleurs de Protection Civile qui s'estompaient rapidement avec l'immatriculation canadienne C-FHNH sur la queue. Ses moteurs ont été retirés et son nez a été alourdi de blocs de béton. Les photos prises à l'époque montrent que les cloques étaient toujours en place bien qu'elles aient été retirées par la suite. Il a ensuite été vendu à Avalon Aviation et C-FHNH a commencé à travailler en Norvège en tant que bombardier de feu basé à Fornebu. Stocké par la suite dans les aéroports d'East Midlands et d'Exeter en 1985, il a été vendu à Aces High et a été enregistré sur les registres britannique et américain respectivement sous les noms G-BFPY et N212DM.

Difficile de croire que la première Catalina d'un pays qui produisait elle-même des Catalinas était une Catalina d'occasion ! Tout a commencé en 1937, lorsque le Dr Richard Archbold a acheté le premier PBY commercial de Consolidated. C'était un PBY-1 modifié, sous licence en tant que modèle 28-1. Guba, comme Archbold appelait son avion, était destiné à être utilisé comme support pour une expédition planifiée en Nouvelle-Guinée. Ces plans ont été soudainement modifiés lorsque le gouvernement soviétique lui a demandé de participer à une mission de miséricorde et de leur vendre Guba pour 230 000 $ (magazine d'aviation russe - Krylia Rodiny n ° 9 et 10, 1992). Archbold a accepté et les Soviétiques ont utilisé Guba pour rechercher Sigismund Levanevsky et son équipage disparus lors d'un vol à travers le pôle Nord de l'Union soviétique à Fairbanks. Le chercheur canadien Sir Hubert Wilkins a transporté Guba à Coppermine dans les Territoires du Nord-Ouest du Canada le 23 août 1937 et a effectué cinq voyages de recherche en août et septembre. À la fin de 1937, le Guba, maintenant immatriculé L-2, a été transporté par avion à New York, démantelé et expédié par bateau à vapeur vers l'Union soviétique. De janvier à mars 1938, Wilkins a effectué quatre autres vols, dont deux pendant la nuit polaire. Malheureusement, Levanevsky et son équipage n'ont jamais été retrouvés.

Wilkins a ensuite écrit une lettre à Reuben Fleet, disant qu'il avait parcouru 19 000 milles " . . . . dans les conditions météorologiques les plus défavorables, survolant un terrain accidenté et inexploré, et pour la plupart lourdement chargé de carburant, de fournitures et d'équipement. J'ai le privilège de vous féliciter, ainsi que vos associés et tous ceux qui ont participé à la fabrication de cet avion, et ce en des termes non équivoques. Sans ce magnifique avion, nous n'aurions pas pu tenter notre tâche difficile." [Roscoe Creed PBY, The Catalina Flying Boat]

À l'été 1938, le L-2 est livré à Moscou. Les lettres URSS (abréviation française de l'URSS) ont été changées en CCCP, l'immatriculation L-2 supprimée, et l'avion équipé d'un équipement militaire. Cet équipement militaire se composait de 4 mitrailleuses 'SHKAS' (7,62 mm) dans la tourelle d'étrave, le canon tunnel, et là où les deux trappes du mitrailleur de taille devaient être dans de petites ampoules fermées, il y avait 6 râteliers à bombes pour plusieurs types de bombes, et d'autres équipement. Tous ces changements étaient standard sur la TPS, à l'exception des ampoules. Le L-2 était probablement le premier Catalina avec (une sorte de) cloques !

Au cours de sa vie opérationnelle, le L-2 a participé à la recherche des survivants du convoi PQ-17. Après la recherche, alors qu'il était à l'ancre à Moller Bay, Novaya Zemblya, le L-2 a été détruit par les tirs d'obus d'un sous-marin allemand le 25 juillet 1942.


À la rescousse : PBY Catalina consolidé

Entre autres exploits notables, un PBY a été la première embarcation de sauvetage à intervenir après le naufrage en 1945 du croiseur lourd USS Indianapolis.

Illustration par Jim Laurier, de U.S. Navy Catalina Units of the Pacific War, par Louis B. Dorny (Osprey Publishing/Bloomsbury Press Publishing)

Spécifications (PBY-5A)
Envergure : 104 pieds
Superficie de l'aile : 1 400 pieds carrés
Longueur : 63 pieds 11 pouces
Hauteur : 20 pieds 2 pouces
Poids à vide : 20 910 livres
Masse maximale au décollage : 35 420 livres
Équipage : Sept à 10
Puissance : Deux moteurs Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp 14 cylindres à pistons radiaux refroidis par air de 1 200 ch
Vitesse maximale : 179 mph à 7 000 pieds
Vitesse de croisière longue distance : 117 mph
Plafond : 14 700 pieds
Portée maximale : 2 545 milles
Armement: Deux mitrailleuses de calibre .30 dans la tourelle d'étrave, une mitrailleuse de calibre .50 dans chaque blister de taille opposée et une mitrailleuse de calibre .30 dans le tunnel ventral. Plus quatre bombes de 1 000 livres ou 500 livres ou une douzaine de bombes de 100 livres ou quatre grenades sous-marines de 650 livres, 450 livres ou 325 livres ou deux torpilles Mark 13-2

S'appuyant sur son hydravion P2Y sesquiplane à succès du début des années 1930, Consolidated a remporté un contrat de 60 avions de la marine américaine en 1935 pour le modèle 28 Catalina, qui est entré en service un an plus tard sous le nom de PBY-1. La Marine anticipait des problèmes avec le Japon, pour lesquels des avions de reconnaissance à long rayon d'action seraient essentiels. Lors de son voyage inaugural, le PBY a réalisé un vol international sans escale record de 3 443 milles de Norfolk, en Virginie, à San Diego, en Californie. Sa portée et sa stabilité exceptionnelles ont incité une série de modèles améliorés et une production croissante, finalement repris sous licence par l'Union soviétique. et le Canada (où il s'appelait le Canso). Prenant son envol en novembre 1939, le PBY-5A, une version amphibie avec train d'atterrissage rétractable, ajouta plus de polyvalence.

Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, le PBY a accumulé un record de recherche et de sauvetage, de reconnaissance et de combat. Lorsque la Royal Navy a perdu le contact avec le cuirassé allemand Bismarck, c'est un Catalina Mk I du No. 209 Squadron, Royal Air Force Coastal Command, qui l'a retrouvé le 26 mai 1941. Les navires britanniques ont forcé Bismarck à saborder le lendemain. Au milieu de la campagne de Guadalcanal de 1942 à 1943, les PBY ont servi de bombardiers-torpilleurs de fortune, ce qui a conduit à l'utilisation régulière de « chats noirs » peints en mat pour des attaques nocturnes dans tout le Pacifique. Le 31 juillet 1943, un Catalina brésilien coule le sous-marin allemand U-199 au large de Rio de Janeiro. Le 2 août 1945, un PBY de la marine américaine a été le premier navire à sauver les survivants du croiseur lourd torpillé Indianapolis.

À la fin de la guerre, les Alliés ont construit un total de 3 308 Catalinas, soit plus que tous les autres hydravions de la Seconde Guerre mondiale réunis. C'était de loin l'hydravion militaire le plus réussi de l'histoire. MH


CHAT TUEUR

C'est un axiome bien connu que la guerre est d'interminables périodes d'ennui, ponctuées de moments de pure terreur. Nulle part ailleurs cela n'est plus vrai que pour les équipages qui pilotent des avions de patrouille à long rayon d'action. Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, avant que les systèmes d'alerte radar ne couvrent le globe, ce sont les avions de patrouille et leurs équipages qui effectuaient des missions interminablement longues à la recherche de toute menace aérienne ou maritime. Survolant souvent de longues étendues d'eau isolées avec seulement leurs yeux ou un radar primitif pour rechercher l'ennemi, les hommes qui ont effectué des missions de patrouille étaient des héros méconnus de la guerre.

De tous les avions qui ont effectué des missions de patrouille pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, le plus remarquable était probablement le Consolidated PBY Catalina Bateau volant. Volé pour la première fois en mars 1935, le PBY deviendra l'avion de patrouille le plus utilisé et verra des combats sur tous les théâtres de la guerre, du froid de l'Alaska aux jungles du Pacifique Sud et aux rives ensoleillées de la Méditerranée. Surnommé le &ldquoCat,&rdquo ou &ldquoP-boat,&rdquo ou le &ldquoCanso&rdquo au Canada, il était plus communément appelé &ldquoDumbo&rdquo en référence à l'éléphant volant animé de Disney&rsquo. Il a été appelé ainsi avec beaucoup d'affection par ces milliers de marins naufragés et d'aviateurs abattus qui ont été secourus par le gros avion.

Le développement du Catalina a commencé dans les années 1930, lorsque la marine américaine envisageait la possibilité d'une guerre dans le Pacifique, où il y avait de vastes étendues d'océan et peu d'aérodromes disponibles. Un avion de type hydravion résolvait ces problèmes, car il pouvait opérer à partir de ports abrités ou à bord de navires spécialement conçus pour l'entretien des hydravions. Ainsi, la Marine a chargé Consolidated et Douglas de concevoir un nouveau bateau volant pour répondre à ses besoins d'avion de patrouille. Bien que la conception de Douglas soit bonne, la proposition de Consolidated XP3Y-1 offrait de nombreuses caractéristiques de conception révolutionnaires, notamment une aile de parasol en porte-à-faux et des flotteurs de stabilisateurs rétractables qui réduisaient la traînée. En plus, c'était moins cher ! Au début de 1936, la Navy commanda 60 exemplaires sous la désignation PBY-1, et fut tellement impressionnée par la conception qu'elle en commanda 50 autres avant la livraison du premier PBY-1.

Consolidated avait terminé toutes ses livraisons à la Marine et il semblait que la production de PBY avait pris fin après que 213 exemplaires aient été construits lorsque l'Allemagne a envahi la Pologne le 1er septembre 1939. Soudain, les commandes ont afflué de Grande-Bretagne, du Canada, d'Australie , les Indes orientales néerlandaises, les garde-côtes américains et même la marine américaine qui avaient besoin de 200 PBY supplémentaires pour patrouiller l'Atlantique afin de faire respecter la neutralité américaine dans le conflit européen. Toutes ces commandes concernaient la nouvelle version du PBY, le PBY-5, qui comportait des moteurs plus puissants, et la tourelle bulbeuse & ldquoblister & rdquo sur les côtés qui offraient aux artilleurs une meilleure visibilité et une meilleure protection contre le vent. Les Britanniques ont donné à l'avion son nom &ldquoCatalina& rdquo que l'US Navy a adopté en 1941.

Lorsque les Japonais ont frappé Pearl Harbor le 7 décembre 1941, le PBY Catalina était au beau milieu de celui-ci et beaucoup ont été détruits lors de l'attaque. Ceux qui étaient encore pilotables s'envolèrent ce jour-là dans une vaine tentative de localiser la flotte japonaise. À partir de ce jour, le PBY servira dans toutes les grandes batailles navales de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, y compris les campagnes de Midway, Guadalcanal, les Aléoutiennes et la lutte contre les sous-marins allemands lors de la bataille de l'Atlantique. Sa capacité à rester en l'air pendant des heures et sa portée de plus de 2 500 milles signifiait qu'il pouvait servir d'œil à la flotte, repérant les navires ennemis et les suivant, jusqu'à ce que les forces amies puissent être mobilisées pour attaquer. Au cours de la poursuite épique du cuirassé allemand Bismarck, un britannique Catalina a pu surveiller le navire et a aidé les navires de surface de la Royal Navy à intercepter et à couler le puissant intrus. Puis, pendant la bataille de Midway, les PBY de l'US Navy ont trouvé la flotte japonaise en train d'envahir l'île et ont aidé les porte-avions américains à tendre un piège, qui a détruit les Japonais et renversé le cours de la guerre.

Mais le PBY n'était pas uniquement destiné à observer la guerre, car le &ldquoCat&rdquo avait des griffes. Armés de bombes, de grenades sous-marines et de torpilles, les équipages de PBY ont mené la guerre à l'ennemi, dans des endroits comme les îles du Pacifique Sud, où des PBY peints en noir appelés &ldquoBlack Cats&rdquo ont participé à des raids nocturnes très réussis contre des navires japonais, en utilisant le radar pour cibler sa proie. Dans l'Atlantique, PBY Catalinas ont été inestimables dans la guerre contre les sous-marins allemands, coulant plus de 40 sous-marins ennemis. Mais son rôle le plus connu est probablement celui d'un avion de recherche et de sauvetage (SAR), qui pourrait atterrir dans l'eau pour récupérer les survivants des navires coulés ou des pilotes abattus au combat. Personne ne sait combien de milliers de vies ont été sauvées par les PBY, mais leur utilité dans le rôle de SAR les a maintenus en service jusque dans les années 1980.

Au final, plus de 4000 PBY Catalinas ont été construits et ils serviraient dans 29 forces aériennes et marines à travers le monde. Et, après la guerre, le PBY trouverait une nouvelle renommée en combattant un nouvel ennemi, en tant que pompier volant. Modifié pour récupérer l'eau des lacs & ldquoon the fly & rdquo et l'évacuer précisément sur la cible, le Catalina était très demandé en tant que pompier et la plupart des survivants d'aujourd'hui Catalinas doivent leur survie à leur utilité dans ce rôle. Bien qu'ils n'aient jamais reçu la gloire des chasseurs et des bombardiers de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les PBY et leurs équipages ont servi partout dans le monde en attendant ces « moments de terreur pure » ​​lorsqu'ils entreraient dans l'histoire.

Le 6 août 2011, l'Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum a eu le plaisir d'ajouter un PBY Catalina à sa collection lorsque Canadien a construit Canso-A (identique à un PBY-5a construit aux États-Unis) n° 249 a atterri à l'aéroport de McMinnville à la fin d'un vol de convoyage de deux heures et demie en provenance de Nanaimo, en Colombie-Britannique. Acquis par la Captain Michael King Smith Foundation en juillet 2010, il avait fallu un an pour que l'avion soit en état de navigabilité après une décennie ou plus de négligence, dans le mauvais temps de Vancouver.

Construit à l'origine pour l'Aviation royale canadienne à l'usine Canadian Vickers de Saint-Hubert, au Québec, l'avion a été livré le 2 juin 1943 et servirait au sein du Commandement aérien de l'Est de l'ARC avant de rejoindre le 13e Escadron de l'ARC à Rockliffe, près d'Ottawa. Après sa retraite du service militaire en 1955, il a été acheté par Kenting Aviation Ltd. de Toronto, qui l'a converti en bombardier incendiaire. De 1963 à 1968, il a combattu des incendies en France avant de revenir au Canada où il a été vendu à Norcanair Ltd. en Saskatchewan. Il y restera pendant 17 ans, acquérant sa peinture rouge, jaune et verte criarde en 1981. En 2002, il a été acheté par Aero Service Ltd. à Nanaimo et modifié pour un projet d'écotourisme en Indonésie, mais cet accord a échoué et le l'avion a été laissé au repos et s'est détérioré.

Après son rachat par la Fondation Michael King Smith, le Catalina, maintenant immatriculé N249SB, a été rendu pilotable par Victoria Air Maintenance (VAM) pour son dernier vol vers sa nouvelle maison. Dans le cadre du processus, les moteurs, qui étaient en très mauvais état, ont été remplacés par des moteurs empruntés à VAM. Puis, le samedi 6 août, l'équipage de conduite de Lynn Hunt et Bob Dyck a ramené le gros oiseau dans les airs pour la dernière fois et l'a transporté vers sa nouvelle maison.

Depuis son arrivée, le Canso/Cataline a reçu une attention constante de la part des équipes de restauration et de peinture d'Evergreen, et prend un nouveau souffle. Les moteurs empruntés ont été rendus à VAM et les anciens moteurs et accessoires ont été réinstallés. Un nouvel ensemble de tourelles blister acquises via le Pima Air & Space Museum a été remis à neuf par l'équipe de restauration à Marana, AZ et l'avion a reçu une nouvelle couche de peinture . Fini ses marquages ​​de lutte contre l'incendie, le schéma jaune éclatant a été remplacé par le schéma bleu et gris d'un PBY-5a de l'US Navy de l'escadron de patrouille VP-44. Il représente l'avion que l'Ens. Jack Reid et son équipage ont volé le matin du 3 juin 1942 lorsqu'ils ont repéré la flotte japonaise s'approchant de l'île de Midway, ouvrant une bataille qui allait sceller le sort de l'empire japonais. Une fois terminé, le Catalina sera exposé dans le musée en hommage durable aux hommes et aux machines de l'aviation de patrouille, qui ont si bien servi les Alliés pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale.


Consolidated PBY-1 Catalina Flying Boat - Histoire

PBY consolidé "Catalina"
Maquette d'avion News Cover Art pour avril 1944
par Jo Kotula
Cliquez pour agrandir

Le Catalina était le bateau volant le plus réussi (et le plus nombreux) de l'histoire de l'aviation. Il a largement servi tout au long de la Seconde Guerre mondiale en tant qu'avion de recherche et de sauvetage, livrant même (parfois) des bombes. Il a commencé sa vie sous le nom de Consolidated Model 28, conçu par Isaac Laddon à la fin de 1933. Le prototype a volé pour la première fois en 1935 et avait des caractéristiques distinctives, notamment l'aile du parasol sans structure de support. Cette absence d'entretoises et de fils de contreventement a offert une amélioration immédiate des performances. Une autre nouveauté a été l'introduction de flotteurs stabilisateurs qui se rétractaient en vol pour former les extrémités des ailes. Les premiers essais du prototype laissaient peu de doute sur le fait que la Marine était sur le point d'acquérir un avion important. PBY-1 a commencé à entrer en service dans les escadrons en 1937 et à la mi-1938, 14 escadrons étaient opérationnels.

Bateau volant PBY "Catalina" consolidé
Cliquez pour agrandir

Les premiers avions d'exportation sont allés en Russie, où le type a été construit par la suite en grand nombre sous la désignation GST. La RAF a acquis un seul exemplaire pour évaluation en 1939 et a presque immédiatement commandé un lot de 50, le premier d'une longue liste à servir avec le Coastal Command. Le nom Catalina (d'abord adopté par la RAF) a été utilisé plus tard par l'USN pour les différentes versions qui sont entrées en service. Le type devait également servir dans la RAAF, la RCAF, la RNZAF et l'armée de l'air des Indes orientales néerlandaises. De nombreux Catalinas sont restés en service pour le sauvetage aéronaval pendant quelques années après la fin de la guerre

Diagrammes de brevets pour le PBY Catalina consolidé
Brevet de conception D-92 912
Cliquez pour agrandir
Cliquez ici pour savoir comment obtenir des diagrammes de brevets gratuits

Le PBY était un sujet très populaire dans les médias, de ses flotteurs à ailes rétractables uniques à son utilisation dans la recherche et le sauvetage. Voici trois articles du milieu des années 1930 tels que trouvés dans notre revue de Popular Mechanics.

PBY Catalina consolidé dans les médias
(à gauche) juin 1939 (milieu) mai 1937 (à droite) avril 1936
Cliquez pour agrandir

Voici une vidéo qui présente une "promenade" et un décollage d'un PBY restauré :

En plus de la couverture de Model Airplane News, cet avion a également été présenté dans la série de cartes à collectionner WINGS "Friend or Foe" du début des années 1950

Représentation de carte à collectionner du PBY consolidé "Catalina"
Cliquez ici pour voir les 200 cartes de la série
Cliquez pour agrandir

Le vénérable Catalina a continué à servir comme véhicule de sauvetage aérien pendant un certain temps. Il est apparu à plusieurs reprises sur la couverture de Mechanix Illustrated. En 1943, il a été utilisé pour illustrer l'artillerie navale et une photographie du canon de nez est apparue - cette position de canon ouvert date des premiers jours de l'aviation. En 1948, le rôle du Catalina en tant que véhicule de sauvetage aérien est mis en évidence.

Fille de couverture de Catalina
(à gauche) novembre 1943 (à droite) mars 1948
Cliquez pour agrandir

Cliquez ici pour plus d'informations sur le bateau volant PBY "Catalina" consolidé.


Un peu de contexte…

Le Consolidated PBY Catalina était un hydravion américain, et plus tard un avion amphibie des années 1930 et 1940 produit par Consolidated Aircraft. C'était l'un des hydravions les plus utilisés de la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Catalinas a servi dans toutes les branches des forces armées des États-Unis et dans les forces aériennes et les marines de nombreux autres pays.

Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les PBY ont été utilisés dans la guerre anti-sous-marine, les bombardements de patrouille, les escortes de convois, les missions de recherche et de sauvetage (en particulier le sauvetage air-mer) et le transport de marchandises. Le PBY était l'avion le plus nombreux de son genre et les derniers PBY militaires actifs n'ont été retirés du service que dans les années 1980. Même aujourd'hui, près de 80 ans après son premier vol, l'avion continue de voler en tant que bombardier d'eau (ou avion-citerne) dans des opérations aériennes de lutte contre les incendies dans le monde entier.

La désignation « Les Catalinas construits par d'autres fabricants pour la marine américaine ont été désignés selon différents codes de fabricant, ainsi les exemples construits par Vickers au Canada ont été désignés PBV, les exemples de Boeing-Canada PB2B (il existe déjà un Boeing PBB) et les exemples de Naval Aircraft Factory ont été désignés PBN. Les exemples canadiens ont été nommés Canso par l'Aviation royale du Canada conformément à la pratique de dénomination britannique contemporaine consistant à nommer les hydravions d'après les villes portuaires côtières, dans ce cas pour la ville de Canso en Nouvelle-Écosse, tandis que la Royal Air Force utilisait le nom Catalina.

L'armée de l'air des États-Unis et plus tard l'armée de l'air des États-Unis ont utilisé la désignation OA-10. Les catalinas de la marine utilisés dans le Pacifique contre les Japonais pour les opérations de nuit étaient peints en noir dans l'ensemble et, par conséquent, étaient parfois appelés localement « chats noirs ».


Hommage au Canso/ PBY Catalina, le nouvel album photo bientôt disponible

En avril 2016, j'ai écrit mon premier Dakota Hunter Blog `Catalina Album photo`. Ce blog est devenu du jour au lendemain un succès écrasant dans le nombre de partages et de likes sur War History Online et Facebook. War History Online a répété la publication plusieurs fois et à chaque fois, ce blog a attiré une attention considérable.

La conclusion? Le nom de Catalina est un aimant, presque un mot magique pour beaucoup, pourquoi ? Est-ce la silhouette déviante de l'avion avec cette aile de parasol ? Ou sa double capacité d'hydravion et d'avion de patrouille à long rayon d'action, qui a donné au Catalina ses tâches multiples et héroïques uniques pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale et au-delà ? Ou peut-être le simple fait que les bateaux volants et les amphibiens portent un emblème des plus romantiques d'un passé glorieux de Travel & Aviation entre les années 1935-1955 ?

Quelle que soit la raison, il est devenu clair pour moi que mon énorme collection de photos de Catalina que j'ai mériterait un meilleur endroit que d'être rangée dans des boîtes hors de vue de quiconque. Je suis allé à la recherche d'autres collections et j'ai rapidement eu un plan : créer un album photo à partir des meilleures des 3000 photos que j'ai pu trouver. Un album au format paysage de 8,5 x 11 pouces en tant que livre de table basse de luxe avec des photos aussi impressionnantes sélectionnées que rarement dans les livres d'aviation vintage.

Les PBY Catalina a été construit en plus grand nombre (environ 3.300 de toutes les versions) que toutes les autres marques et types d'hydravions et d'amphibiens ensemble. Ce simple fait reflète la fiabilité et la polyvalence du type et l'intérêt mondial pour l'avion qui est venu au cours des années 1938-1945.

Le constructeur Consolidated-Vultee (rebaptisé plus tard Convair) a eu quelques problèmes initiaux avec les ventes depuis le vol inaugural du premier prototype PBY XP3Y-1 le 21 mars 1935. L'usine était engagée dans un concours pour un contrat de l'US Navy contre le concurrent du Douglas XP3D. De sérieuses modifications devaient encore être apportées au modèle prototype, principalement dans son contrôle directionnel avec une conception améliorée de la quille et du gouvernail.

Au même moment, Douglas a déployé le tout nouveau DC-3 qui a effectué son vol inaugural le 17 décembre 1935. Le succès de cet avion était si écrasant, presque à partir de zéro, que Douglas s'est peut-être considéré comme le vainqueur des États-Unis. Concours de la Marine pour un nouvel avion de patrouille maritime & Bomber (PB). Mais Consolidated avait l'offre la moins chère avec le PBY-1 et a remporté la commande de 60 avions, tous devant être livrés en 1937, commençant la production en septembre 1936.

Bientôt, d'autres commandes de la Marine ont suivi et à l'approche de la guerre en 1938-39, la Russie, l'Angleterre et la France sont intervenues pour les commandes. Les Britanniques ont passé leur commande de 50 pour le dernier type PBY-5 avec les moteurs améliorés Pratt & Whitney R-1830 avec 1200 CV max. Ils ont commencé à utiliser le nom « Catalina », qui a rapidement été adopté dans le monde entier pour le type alors que de nombreux exemples construits sous licence au Canada étaient connus sous le nom de Cansos. L'Australie et l'armée néerlandaise des Indes orientales passèrent de grosses commandes en 1940 pour le Catalina, après le début de la guerre en Europe en septembre 1939.

La photo ci-dessus représente un Chat noir PBY-5, amarré au bord d'une rivière en Papouasie-Nouvelle-Guinée (PNG) pour le ravitaillement. Une photo très nette avec des détails étonnants. Bidons de carburant, munitions et nourriture, tous chargés à bord avec l'aide des tribus locales. Il reflète parfaitement la polyvalence du Catalina, l'avion qui pouvait pénétrer la nuit profondément dans le territoire tenu par les Japonais et attaquer les ports, les navires, les sous-marins, les installations ennemies et les mines larguées pour entraver les lignes de transport et de ravitaillement.

En l'absence d'aérodromes alliés aussi proches de l'ennemi, seul le Catalina pouvait faire ce tour dans des conditions très primitives. Avec peu d'installations terrestres de base disponibles, ils pouvaient lancer des attaques à partir de rivières et de lagunes difficiles à détecter. Cachés le jour et frappant la nuit comme des requins voyous des profondeurs de l'océan, les Japonais ont à peine trouvé une réponse aux attaques nocturnes surprises des Black Cats. L'USAAF et la RAAF ont exploité les Cats depuis le nord de l'Australie et plus tard en PNG et à Bornéo pour des attaques contre la marine japonaise aux Philippines.

Pour plus de photos de guerre aussi fascinantes, voir mon livre "un hommage au Canso/PBY Catalina”. Les grands musées de l'aviation comme Smithsonian Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace à Washington, DC et le Musée national de l'USAF à Dayton, OH m'ont encouragé à utiliser de superbes photographies dans mon livre provenant de leurs collections. Vous n'avez peut-être jamais vu de telles photos sur une page entière d'un livre de table basse au format 8,5 x 11 pouces !

La photo ci-dessus montre le PBY Catalina dans toute sa splendeur d'après-guerre, en tant que yacht aérien de luxe. J'ai loué le majestueux ‘bateau de Avion à voile, Cambridge UK pour la réalisation d'un « voyage d'une vie ». Il s'agissait d'une traversée transatlantique avec ce Chat pour le compte d'une série documentaire télévisée de 8 épisodes intitulée le "Circuit transatlantique Catalina Odyssey". En tant que scénariste/directeur créatif, j'avais écrit le scénario de ce voyage de rêve, basé sur mes propres expériences avec cette Catalina survolant la jungle de Bornéo au début des années 50. J'y ai vécu jeune avec ma famille, mon père travaillant pour Shell en tant qu'ingénieur d'exploration pétrolière.

Cette Catalina Odyssée nous a amenés du nord-ouest de l'Europe via Gibraltar aux îles du Cap Vert. De là, nous avons traversé l'Atlantique jusqu'à Natal, au nord-est du Brésil et avons continué notre tournée à Rio de Janeiro et La Paz en Bolivie. Le lac Titicaca était à l'ordre du jour pour un amerrissage prévu sur cette immense étendue d'eau à 3800 m d'altitude. dans les Andes. Juste avant le toucher des roues sur les eaux froides de ce mystérieux lac, nous sommes entrés dans un courant descendant et notre chat a failli s'écraser dans un amerrissage très violent. Mais le très habile capitaine Paul Warren Wilson a sauvé la situation et a sorti le chat de son agonie.

Lisez ce qui s'est passé là-bas et comment nous avons poursuivi notre voyage épique vers le nord dans les Caraïbes. Cette photo a été prise près de l'île de Bimini alors que nous étions sur le point d'atterrir dans le Blue Lagoon. Sûrement dans des circonstances plus paisibles et romantiques que la situation que le chaman inca avait prédite, avant notre débarquement sur le lac Titicaca. Les dieux des montagnes ont été bouleversés par notre tentative d'atterrir sur le lac sacré, nous a dit le chaman. Nous a-t-il jeté un sort ? Quoi qu'il en soit, nous avons à peine échappé à la Malédiction des Dieux. Alors que soudainement les poignées d'accélérateur ont été claquées vers l'avant avec un réglage de pleine puissance sur les moteurs, Paul a crié "Abandonner l'atterrissage!". Il a levé le nez hors de l'eau et a essayé de ramper sous cette main féroce mais invisible qui a essayé de nous écraser dans le lac.

photo above shows the sad remnants of a US registered, privately owned Catalina that was on a World Tour in 1960. With the American Family Kendall aboard, they were coming from Egypt and made a landing for the night stay on an abandoned Saudi Arabian Beach. What followed was an outright nightmare as the 12 passengers and crew were attacked by a Bedouin armed patrol, who took the plane for an Israeli Spy Aircraft.

Read the horror story and see the photos taken from their unique Family Album. I received permission to publish the photos and their story from one of the Family members. The aircraft was abandoned with over 350 bullet holes and 35 years later photographed by Monsieur. Ken Stanford who also permitted me to use some of his photos. This is the first time that their collections open up for an illustrated story of outstanding and gallant behavior that finally saved the lives of all occupants, with 2 people seriously wounded. But they all survived and with the help of the US Ambassador went back home, their beloved Catalina was doomed.

photo above shows the Catalina Z-CAT overflying the Victoria Falls in Zambia. This Catalina was registered in Zimbabwe and owned by the French adventurer and African travel guide Pierre Jaunet. He organized the African Catalina Safaris with this aircraft from The Victoria Falls via Zanzibar and Lake Malawi to Kenya and all the way up to the Nile in Egypt, where he landed just next to the Pyramids, out of all places. He made those flights over a couple of years until 1993, when I came to Zimbabwe for an inspection of his aircraft and hired the Cat for the first Odyssey. (Photo made by Babette Alfieri)

Our very first Catalina Odyssey was flown with this Cat and it would become my Motorhome for the next 8 weeks. That was no punishment, I can tell you. Z-Cat was first flown to Holland for a redecoration job in the Sponsor’s livery. The journey with 12 passengers, Pierre, 3 crew members, my sister Corine for the logistics and myself as the Tour Director was to become another epic ” Trip of a Lifetime”. With a “grandeur” like what people can only dream of. Such majestic intercontinental traveling is not for sale anymore, not at any agency I know.

But we did it twice and in my book, you can see the fabulous photographs that resulted from the Catalina Odysseys. In total, twelve weeks of traveling around the Americas, in such machines with water landings at will plus four Atlantic crossings have yielded extraordinary photos. With well over 3000 images, I have selected the very best top-100 for this book. Moreover, I picked another 200 photos from other sources: the “Survivor Catalina” Operators, Military & Aviation Museums, Photographers, Collectors. Simply, the best you can ever find, now all in one book in large format.

My new book “A Tribute to the Canso/ PBY CATALINA” will soon come for sale. For my WAR HISTORY ONLINE et Facebook readership, I have made on my website an Early Bird Registration form that you can fill in with your name and email.

You will receive a Newsletter and a Free Bonus if you send me this, click here for the Registration Button for Newsletter, Order form and Free Bonus. Read this carefully, and as you complete the Order form later, you can earn an autographed photograph of the book’s front cover as you can see below.


PBY-5 Catalina (The Flying Boat)

One of the most unique aircraft displays in the museum, the cut-away example of a PBY-5 Catalina, was at one time a complete aircraft. Accepted on 14 July 1942, it is unusual in that it was given the designation FP-216 in lieu of a conventional bureau number assigned to most all Navy aircraft. Functionally a PBY-5, it was designated a PBY-5B because it was to have gone into British service under the Lend-Lease program but was instead among sixty examples diverted to U.S. Navy training use. Of those sixty PBY-5Bs delivered to the U.S. Navy at least twenty were involved in accidents at Naval Air Stations (NAS) Pensacola, Florida, and Corpus Christi, Texas, two of the three PBY training establishments of the time (the third being at NAS Jacksonville, Florida).

On 28 May 1944, while in use for pilot and crew training in Training Squadron (VN) 8A, 8th Naval District, at NAS Pensacola, the aircraft displayed at the museum was involved in a water-loop landing in Pensacola Bay. Of the six personnel on board only one received minor injury. However, the incident resulted in irreparable damage to the aircraft. Towed ashore, the luckless aircraft was involved in a ground collision while on the ramp. Struck from Navy service, the airframe was subsequently installed in an outside wall of the Survival Training Center (Land Survival Training) building on board NAS Pensacola to support instruction in sea rescue techniques, for which the PBY was famous. At that point the Catalina had its starboard wing, the wing-support strut that housed the flight engineer's station, and one of its two engines remaining. The skin was removed on the side interior to the building so that students could view the inner structure of the plane.

With pending plans to replace the training building the future of FP-216 came under discussion as early as April 1995. Upon demolition of the training building, in 1997, museum staff members moved the airplane to a National Museum of Naval Aviation warehouse for safekeeping. In February 2001 the Catalina was shifted to the Museum's restoration hangar for restoration as a permanent exhibit. However, commencing with removal from the Land Survival Training building, many of the interior fittings and equipment had been removed, either for storage or as souvenirs. Therefore, in 2001, a major effort was mounted internationally among Catalina veterans and the general public to acquire fittings and equipment appropriate to the aircraft's original operational condition to augment restoration construction and artifacts stored at the Museum. Today the cut-away Catalina presents a unique viewing experience, largely complete in equipment and "manned" by a very life-like flight crew of mannequins in period uniforms.

Place of Origin San Diego, California

Notes During 1931, the Navy began efforts to replace the Consolidated P2Y and Martin P3M flying boats operating in the fleet. They were considered to be underpowered and deficient in operational profile. Though Martin's aircraft would continue to evolve in Navy service, in 1933 the Navy contracted with Consolidated and Boeing to build competing prototypes for a new patrol flying boat. Consolidated's XP3Y-1 won the competition, not so much because the Boeing design was less qualified, but because Consolidated's offering came in at $90,000 less per plane. However, among the technical innovations in the XP3Y were the wing tip stabilizing floats that were retracted to wing-flush in flight and a cantilever wing that limited the need for external struts that reduced performance.

The prototype flew on 28 March 1935, and transferred to the Navy for test and evaluation. In October 1935 the XP3Y made a record non-stop flight of 3,443 miles from Coco Solo, Canal Zone, to San Francisco. The Navy was satisfied that the plane was an improvement over extant patrol flying boats, but wanted further improvements before accepting the design to fill the patrol-bombing role. Returned to Consolidated, the prototype was equipped with more powerful engines and redesigned vertical stabilizer surfaces. Redesignated XPBY-1 the plane made its first flight on 19 May 1936. In October 1936 it was transferred to Patrol Squadron (VP) 11F at Naval Air Station (NAS) Norfolk, VA, followed by delivery of production PBY-1s. A buy order in 1936 resulted in VP-12 receiving PBYs in1937, followed by variants and ramped up production over the following years. Initial versions were strictly flying boats, operable only from water, but the PBY-5A and succeeding PBY-6A were true amphibians. By the time the U.S. became directly involved in WW II sixteen squadrons were equipped with PBY-5s, two with PBY-4s and three with PBY-3s.

As its designation suggests the Navy acquired the PBYs as patrol bombers, and even before U.S. entry into World War II, they made their mark in combat. In May 1941, a Lend-Lease PBY flown by Ensign Leonard Smith, a naval aviator serving as an observer with the British Royal Air Force, located the German pocket-battleship Bismarck, enabling the Royal Navy to close in and sink her. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, a PBY made the only aerial attack against the Japanese, bombing a midget submarine. During the pivotal Battle of Midway in June 1942, PBYs spotted the Japanese invasion and carrier strike forces.

During World War II Catalinas performed a variety of essential duties, including long-range scouting and anti-submarine patrols, convoy escorts, search and rescue and bombing operations. It was in the latter functions that the PBY established its greatest legacy, equipping so-called Black Cat squadrons that carried out effective night attacks against Japanese shipping and installations. Two other PBY squadrons were equipped with magnetic anomaly detection gear in order to locate submerged submarines. Retro-bombs were also installed which, when fired backwards at a velocity equal to the speed of the aircraft, dropped straight down upon a target.

Since the XP3Y-1 prototype made its maiden flight, Catalinas have been flown by at least twenty-seven countries and, though last seeing military use in the 1980s, some are still flying. The PBYs were built primarily by Consolidated Vultee at San Diego and New Orleans, but also by the Naval Aircraft Factory, Boeing Canada and Vickers (Canada). It was even built in the Soviet Union as the "GST," copying examples given to the Soviets during World War II. Wartime production amounted totaled some 3,400.

XP3Y-1 Consolidated's prototype Model 28 flying boat, later re-designated XPBY-1.

XPBY-1 BuNo 9459, modified XP3Y-1 re-engined with two 900hp R-1830-64, one built.

PBY-1 Initial series production model with two 900hp R-1830-64 engines, 60 built.

PBY-2 Modified equipment and improved performance, 50 built.

PBY-3 Re-engined, two 1000hp R-1830-66 engines, 66 built.

PBY-4 Re-engined, two 1050hp R-1830-72 engines, 33 built (one of which became the amphibian prototype XPBY-5A, flown in November 1939).

PBY-5 Powered by two 1200hp R-1830-82 or -92 engines with provision for extra fuel tanks, 683 built plus one built at New Orleans, 93 PBY-5s were earmarked for the RAF (as Catalina IVA) and one to the U.S. Coast Guard.

PBY-5A Amphibian version of the PBY-5 with two 1200hp R-1830-92 engines, 124 fitted with one .30 caliber nose gun, the remaining 803 had two some diverted to the Army Air Corps as the OA-10, 12 to the RAF (as the Catalina IIIA), and one to the Coast Guard.

PBY-6A The PBY-5A with a taller fin and rudder, radar fitted above the cockpit, and two .50 caliber nose guns 175 built including 21 transferred to the Soviet Navy. One designated PBY-6AG in Coast Guard service. Some transferred to the Air Corps as the OA-10B.

PB2B-1 The Boeing Canada version of the PBY-5, 165 built most going to the RAF and the RNZAF as the Catalina IVB.

PB2B-2 Boeing Canada version of the PBY-5 but having a taller fin, 67 built, most supplied to the RAF as the Catalina VI.

PBN-1 Naval Aircraft Factory version of the PBY-5 with major modification including a 2ft bow extension, re-designed wingtip floats and tail surfaces and a revised electrical system, 155 built for the RAF as the Catalina V but 138 were loaned to the Soviet Navy.

PBV-1A Canadian Vickers version of the PBY-5A, 380 built including 150 for the RCAF (designated the Canso-A) and the rest for the Army Air Corps (OA-10A).

Catalina I through VI Various versions of the Catalina in RAF and RAAF service.

General characteristics (PBY-5)

Manufacturer: Consolidated Aircraft Corp.

Dimensions: Length: 63ft 10 7/16 in. Wingspan: 104 ft. Height: 21 ft., 1 in.

Weight: Empty: 20,910 lb. Gross: 35,420 lb.

Power Plant: Two Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 twin radial engines each rated 1,200 hp

Performance: Cruising speed : 125 M.P.H. Maximum speed: 196 M.P.H.

Crew: Typically 8 (pilot, copilot, flight engineer, bow gunner/bombardier, radioman, navigator, two waist gunners)

Weapons: three .30 caliber machines guns (two nose/one available in ventral hatch), two .50 caliber machine guns (one in each waist blister), up to 4,000 lbs. of bombs or depth charges external torpedo racks.


Canso History

The origins of the Canso go back to 28 October 1933. On this day, the U.S. Navy awarded the Consolidated Aircraft Corp., at Buffalo, N.Y., an order to build one experimental patrol aircraft designated XP3Y-1. This aircraft was first flown on 21 March 1935, at Hampton Roads, Va. Powered by two Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps of 825 hp each, it was an all-metal monoplane with the wing mounted on top of the hull by a pylon which contained the flight engineer’s quarters, plus two sets of streamlined lift struts running from the waterline to the wing panel/centre section joint. The floats retracted outwards to form ‘wingtips’, which became a standard feature of all PBYs.

After further flight tests at Norfolk, Va., it was returned to the factory and fitted with 850 hp Twin Wasps and re-designated XPBY-1. During testing, this aircraft performed a couple of spectacular long-distance flights. The first flight was from Norfolk to Coco Solo, Canal Zone, non-stop, and then from Coco Solo to San Francisco Bay, again non-stop, on 15 October 1935. A new international record for seaplanes was thus created with a distance of 3,281.402 statute miles.

During these flights a problem was discovered. This was due to the design of the rudder which made it difficult for the aircraft to get off the water with a full fuel load. When the pilot attempted to ‘get on the step’, the aircraft would drop its tail in the water the tail, then acting as a water rudder, caused the pilot to temporarily lose control, forcing him to shut his engines off immediately. The rudder was modified by adding additional area to the trailing edge thereby eliminating the problem.

The U.S. Navy, impressed by the spectacular performance of the XP3Y-1, ordered 60 P3Y-1s, later designated PBY-1, on 29 June 1935. Eleven were delivered in 1936 and forty-nine in 1937. The first squadron to receive the PBY-1 was VP-11F in October 1936. These production aircraft were built at Consolidated’s new plant in San Diego, Calif. Shortly another order for 50 machines was placed these were the PBY-2s with minor changes. Of this order, 36 were delivered in 1937 and the remainder in 1938.

In 1938 the PBY was released for export and immediately Russian bought three and obtained a manufacturing licence. In Russia it was designated GST and several hundred were built for the Russian Naval Air Arm and remained in service until the mid-fifties. During November 1936, 66 aircraft with 900 hp Twin Wasps were ordered by the U.S. Navy as PBY-3s, these going into service in late 1937. On December 1937, 33 PBY-4s with the more powerful 1050 hp Twin Wasps were ordered. The first one was delivered in 1938 with the standard sliding beam hatches, but the following 32 featured the new waist ‘blisters’, which became standard for all PBYs. By June 1938, thirteen Navy squadrons were equipped with PBYs and more were to be formed. Armament consisted of one .50 cal Browning machine gun in each blister, one .30 cal gun in the nose turret and another .30 cal gun in a ventral tunnel.

Some time in April 1939, a PBY-4 was returned to the factory to be modified as an amphibian aircraft fitted with a retractable undercarriage and nosewheel. This PBY-4 after conversion became the XPBY-5A and 33 PBY-5s under construction were then modified as PBY-5As. Another order for 134 additional PBY-5As was placed on 25 November 1940, and deliveries began in December 1941.

The PBY-5 and -5A were powered with 1200 hp Twin Wasp R-1830-82 engines and, instead of the rounded trailing edge on the rudder, they featured a straight trailing edge. A special version was the APBY-5A Catalina and was used for administrative duties this model had five additional windows on the fuselage sides just aft of the cockpit.

After the United States entered the war, contracts were placed for more Catalinas during 1941 and 1942 – 586 PBY-5 flying boats, 627 PBY-5A amphibians and 225 PBY-5B flying boats (for the RAF under Lend-Lease). During this time the Naval Aircraft Factory undertook modification of the Catalina and this version produced by the NAF was designated PBN-1 ‘Nomad’, 156 being built. The last PBYs produced were the PBY-6As which were based on the PBN Nomad and the first of these was delivered during 1945. The main differences in the PBY-6As were a radome mounted above the pilot’s cockpit, a twin-gun ball turret mounting two .50 cl machine guns fitted in the nose, and .30 cal guns located in the other positions. Consolidated–Vultee, as the company was now known, built a number of PBYs at their New Orleans plant. There 75 aircraft were manufactured, 48 of which were supplied to Russia under Lend-Lease.

In the U.S. Navy, the Catalina, also nicknamed ‘Dumbo’, was used by at least 26 squadrons serving at various locations all over the world during the war. The USAAF also used the PBYs designated OA-10, -10A and -10B in the search-and-rescue role. The U.S. Coast Guard also operated the PBYs in their patrolling and search-and-rescue work. Production of the Catalina totaled 1196 flying boats and 944 amphibians including production in Canada. (It is not known how many were built in Russia.)

The Catalina served with the U.S. Forces until the 1950s and many surplus PBYs were supplied to the air forces of many other countries, some of these being Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Dominica, Ecuador, Indonesia, Israel, Mexico, Norway, the Netherlands, and Peru. As late as 1970, there were at least 100 still flying with various civilian operators, used as water bombers, cargo transports and airliners.

It was with the RAF that the PBY received the name ‘Catalina’ (later used by the U.S. services as well), and also saw its first action. The first PBY was received in July 1938 and afterwards orders were placed for 30 Catalina Mk. Est. Deliveries commenced in early 1941 and the aircraft went into service during that spring. It was Catalinas of No. 209 Squadron that shadowed the German battleship “Bismarck’ until the Royal Navy sank it during the last part of May 1941. Eventually a total of about 650 Catalinas were supplied to the RAF and these equipped nineteen RAF and two RCAF Coastal Command squadrons. These units operated from bases in the U.K., Gibraltar, Iceland, North Russia, East Africa, Aden, Iraq, India, Ceylon, and Singapore. Also the Mk. III amphibian version served with the North Atlantic Ferry Command between Canada and the U.K.

Armament consisted of one movable .303 cal machine gun in the nose position, twin .303s on double yoke mountings in each blister turret and another .303 at the rear in a blast tunnel firing aft beneath the hull. Racks for bombs or depth charges were fitted under the wing on the centre section panels. In the RAF they served on anti-submarine duties, escorted convoys and warships, flew special reconnaissance and sentry patrols, searched for missing ships and aircraft, and located survivors of sunken ships and ditched aircraft. In the anti-submarine war three enemy subs were sunk the RAF, the German U-452 and U-253 and the Italian ‘Veniero’.

The RAAF received 18 Catalinas in 1941 and later in 1943 another 100 or so were supplied. These were used by four RAAF squadrons operating in the South-West Pacific area on patrols, search-and-rescue, bombing, minelaying and supply dropping. As with the RAF, the Australians did not keep the Catalina in service after the war. By late 1946, all the Catalina squadrons were disbanded and the aircraft disposed of.

The RNZAF also used Catalinas, two squadrons being equipped with them. These two units operated from bases in the Fiji Islands on much the same duties as the RAAF squadrons. By late 1945, they also retired their Catalinas from service.

The SAAF had one Catalina squadron operating in South Africa on anti-submarine patrols. This unit later converted to Sunderlands.

After the RAF, the RCAF was the next biggest user of the PBYs, operating thirteen squadrons five on the Canadian west coast, six on the east coast and two overseas. In the RCAF, the Catalina first went into service in Eastern Air Command with No. 116 Squadron at Dartmouth on 28 June 1941. These first aircraft were ten Catalina Mk. Is diverted from an RAF contract to fulfill a request from the AOC, A/C A.E. Godfrey, to obtain long-range aircraft to equip the anti-submarine squadrons. The Digbys. Bolingbrokes, Hudsons, and Stranraers had insufficient range to cope with the marauding U-boats, and the Catalinas were the first really long-range aircraft to be used by the EAC. Overseas, the first Catalina squadron was No. 413, formed 1 July 1941 and later moved to Ceylon.

Later Catalinas ordered by the RCAF and built to RCAF specifications were called Cansos. At first the aircraft were supplied from Consolidated-Vultee through RAF contracts and Canadian orders. Besides the Catalinas mentioned earlier, another eight were obtained from an RAF order in 1942 and another 12 with modified armament were delivered to fill an RCAF order in early 1942. At the start of 1942, the RCAF had only 32 of these aircraft on strength. However, later in the year the Air Force began receiving Canadian built Cansos to replace the aging Stranraers in Western Air Command and to form new squadrons in Eastern Air Command. The two squadrons overseas were supplied by the RAF.

During early 1941, under an agreement between the U.S. and Canadian government, Canadian Vickers Ltd., at Cartierville, Que., and Boeing Aircraft of Canada at Vancouver, B.C., began production of the PBY-5 and PBY-5A. During early 1942 Canadian Vickers began delivery of its first batch of Canso flying boats for the RCAF. However the first 36 aircraft were to go to the RAF as Catalina IIAs to replace Catalinas the RCAF had received earlier from RAF contracts. Of these 36 aircraft, only 29 were actually delivered, the rest going to the RCAF. The first PBY-5A Canso A was completed on 3 April 1943. When production ceased on 19 May 1945, Canadian Vickers had built 369 aircraft of this type. The RCAF received 139 aircraft from Vickers and the USAAF took delivery of 230, designated OA-10A. Of these, 183 were to have gone to the U.S. Navy as the PBV-1A, but none were delivered to that service. In the USAAF the OA-10A was used mostly for search-and-rescue, although some saw service in North Africa as bombers.

At Vancouver, the Boeing plant on Sea Island produced 240 Catalinas designated PB2B-1, entirely for Lend-Lease. Of these, 193 went to the RAF as Catalina Mk. IVBs, 41 to the RVZAF and 6 to the RAAF, the first of these having flown on 12 May 1943. Later the company produced the PB2B-2 (based on the Naval Aircraft Factory’s PBN-1 Nomad), of which 50 were built and supplied to the RAF as the Catalina Mk. VI. Also produced by Boeing were 17 flying boat and 55 amphibious Cansos for the RCAF to bring total production to 362 aircraft. During the peak of production, the two plants were producing 50 aircraft per month. Canadian Vickers also produced 119 hulls and 172 wing centre-sections for the Consolidated-Vultee plant in New Orleans.

In Canada a total of 254 Catalinas and Cansos were used by the RCAF units in the Home War Establishment. They served in both EAC and WAC and one squadron operated overseas for about a year-and-a-half from bases in Iceland and Scotland.

After the war, all the Catalinas and most of the Cansos were struck off strength, only about 40 Canso remaining active. These saw service with the search-and-rescue flights and few others were used in heavy transport duties. The last Canso, RCAF 11089, was retired from service on 29 November 1962 and went into civilian service as CF-PQO. Another Canso was retired to National Aircraft Collection. This was RCAF 11087, but it is restored in markings of No. 162 Squadron as the aircraft flown by F/L Hornell, V.C. A large number of these surplus aircraft were sold to civilian operators and to foreign air forces. Sweden obtained three Cansos, redesignated Tp. 47, to serve in its Air Force Rescue Service which were numbered 47001, 47002, and 47003.

RCAF CATALINA/CANSO SERIAL NUMBERS

Catalina Mk. je W8430-32, Z2134, 36-40, DP202
Catalina Mk. IB FP290-97
Catalina Mk. IVA JX206, 207, 209, 211-13, 219, JX571-72, 579-80
Canso A 9701-9844, 11001-11100

No. 4(BR) Squadron at Ucluelet, B.C., on the west coast of Vancouver Island, formerly flying Sharks and Stranraers, converted to Catalina IB, IVAs and Canso As during 1942-43. The squadron also operated out of Tofino, where it was disbanded on 7 August 1945. Code letters for No. 4 Squadron were FY while flying Stranraers, but it is doubtful if these were used on the Canso and Catalinas.

Serial numbers for some of No. 4(BR) Cansos are: – Canso A, S/N 11013, 11018

No. 5(BR) Squadron at Dartmouth, N.S., formerly flew Stranraers, re-equipped with Catalinas and later Cansos during August 1941. From Dartmouth, the squadron later moved to Gander, Torbay, Yarmouth, and Gaspe. Although the squadron carried out many patrols and convoy escorts, they did not make contact with the raiding U-boats until 1943. During February, four attacks were made two by F/L F.C. Colborne and crew, and one by F/O D.G. Baldwin and crew. It is not known who made the other attack, and in April, F/L J.W.C. Langmuir made an attack on a U-boat. However, in these attacks no definite results were observed and the best that could be hoped for was a ‘damaged’.

On May 4, S/L B.H. Moffit and crew, in Canso 9747 ‘W’, sank the U-630 some 750 miles northeast of Torbay. After this battle Moffit sighted another sub but was unable to make an attack. On the same day Langmuir and crew attacked a U-boat but his depth charges missed and after a running gun battle the sub escaped. It was not until November that No., 5 Squadron was able to engage the enemy again, three attacks being made with no results.

During 1944, No. 5 saw very little action and in the closing stages of the war the only action was on 3 May 1945 when a Canso attacked what may have been a U-boat in the Gulf of Maine. On 15 th June 1945, the squadron was disbanded at Gaspe, Que.

Serial numbers for No. 5 aircraft are: –

Catalina Mk. I, S/N W8431, Z2138

Canso A, S/N 9737, 9738, 9740, 9742, 9743, 9747, 11029

No. 6(BR) Squadron at Alliford Bay, B.C., in the Queen Charlotte Islands, converted from Stranraers to Catalinas and Cansos during early 1943. Later the squadron moved to Coal Harbour on the northern tip of Vancouver Island and operated from there until disbanded on 7 August 1945

Serial numbers of some of their aircraft are: –

Canso A, S/N 9702, 11012, 11043

No. 7(BR) Squadron at Prince Rupert, B.C. formerly flew Stranraers and during 1943 changed over to Catalinas and Cansos. No. 7 Squadron later moved to Alliford Bay, replacing No. 6 Squadron, and served there until disbanded on 25 July 1945.

Serial number of one of their aircraft is Canso A, 11020

No. 9(BR) Squadron at Bella Bella, B.C. also formerly flew Stranraers and then converted to Catalinas and Cansos during 1943. The squadron remained there until 1 September 1944 when it was disbanded.

Serial number of one of their aircraft is –

No. 116(BR) Squadron was formed at Dartmouth on 28 June 1941 with nine Catalina Mk. Is originally intended for No. 5 Squadron. Later the squadron was equipped with Canadian-built Cansos. During its operational service the squadron operated out of Botwood, Shelbourne, Gander and Sydney. On 22 July 1941, an attack was made on what was thought to be a U-boat by F/L N.E. Small near Halifax. In mid-October 1941, three of no. 116’s Catalinas were based at Botwood to keep watch for four U-boats operating in the Cape Race area. On 21 january 1942, F/L Small and crew attacked and slightly damaged a U-boat. On 28 April, they attacked another sub but again with no definite results. Later on the 2 and 5 August, Small and crew made two attacks on the U-89. Neither attack was successful. Throughout 1943-44 and until the end of the war, No. 116 had little or no contact with enemy U-boats. On 20 June 1945, No. 116 Squadron was disbanded at Sydney, N.S.

Serial numbers of the squadron’s aircraft are: –

Catalina Mk. I, S/N Z2134, Z2136, Z2140

Canso A, S/N 9702, 9704, 9705, 9707, 9709, 9741, 9745, 9748, 9749, 9750

No, 117(BR) Squadron was formed at Sydeny, N.S. on 27 April 1942 with Stranraers and Catalinas. Later the squadron received Cansos and moved to North Sydney. The squadron later moved to Shelbourne and flew here until being disbanded on 15 December 1943. No contact was made with enemy submarine during No. 117’s service period.

Serial number of one of their aircraft is: –

No., 120(BR) Squadron at Coal Harbour, B.C., converted from Stranraers to Catalinas and Cansos during 1943. Tbe squadron operated out of Coal Harbour until being disbanded on 1 May 1944, being replaced by No. 6 Squadron.

No. 160(BR) Squadron (‘The Whalers’) was formed at Sea Island, B.C., with Cansos on 3 May 1943. The squadron then moved to Yarmouth, N.S., and later to Torbay. No. 160 Squadron served from there, making no contact with the raiding U-boats, until 15 June 1945 when it was disbanded.

Serial numbers of their Cansos are: –

Canso A, S/N 9771, 9784, 9793, 9799, 9813.

No. 161(BR) Squadron was formed on 23 April 1943 with Digbys and Cansos at Dartmouth, N.S. Later the squadron disposed of the Digbys and operated out of Gaspe with its Cansos. No. 161 later moved to Yarmouth where it was disbanded on 31 May 1945. No contact was made with the enemy during its operational career.

Serial numbers of the squadron’s aircraft are: –

Canso A, S/N 9794, 9796, 9810

No. 162(BR) Squadron was formed with Cansos at Yarmouth, N.S. on 19 May 1942 under the command of W/C C.W.G. Chapman. During 1942 and ’43, the Squadron served at various stations in Newfoundland, Labrador and the Gulf of St. Lawrence. On 4 January 1944, the squadron began moving to their new base at Reykjavik, Iceland. The first Canso to arrive was flown by F/O A. Hildebrand who landed at Reykjavik on the 6 th , two days after taking off from Dartmouth. Two more arrived the next day and the remainder at intervals up to the end of the month. The first patrol was carried out by F/O C.W. Leech and crew on 24 January.

F/O C.C. Cunningham and crew made the first sighting and attack on a U-boat from this new base but could only claim it as damaged. On 17 April 1944, F/O T.C. Cooke and crew, in 9767 ‘S’, attacked and sank U-342. During May the squadron was moved temporarily to Wick, in northeastern Scotland, to intercept enemy submarines moving out from Norvegian ports during the first days of the Normandy invasion. On 3 June 1944, F/L R.E. McBride and crew, in Canso 9816 ‘T’, sank the U-477 on 11 June, F/O L. Sherman and crew, in Canso 9842 ‘B’, sank the U-980 on 13 June, W/C Chapman and crew, Canso 9816 ‘T’, sank the U-715. Also on this day, F/O Sherman sighted and attacked a U-boat but was shot down on 24 June, F/L D.E. Hornell and crew, in Canso 9745 ‘P’, sank the U-1225, and on 30 June, F/L McBride, in Canso 9841, sighted and attacked U-478 but the depth charges failed to release. A Liberator was called in and sank the sub. After this action several sightings were made, but only two attacks were carried out. No definite results were obtained. One of these attacks was made by F/O W.O. Marshall and crew, in Canso 9759 ‘W’, on 4 August, slightly damaging the U-300.

Later in the summer the squadron returned to ‘Camp Maple Leaf’ in Iceland where they remained until the end of the war. In this period only five sightings were made and three attacks carried out. F/L D.J. Orr made an attack on 3 November with no results on 5 November, P/O M.A. Palmer and crew returned from patrol with the same results. Not until 21 April 1945 was another attack made, this time by F/L J.K. Guttormson and crew, again with no results. On 26 April, F/O N.A. Chubb and crew sighted a U-boat but lost it in a rain squall before an attack could be made.

After the war, on 10 May, F/L R.L. Clarke and crew sighted a U-boat and exchanged signals and on 31 May the squadron carried out their last patrol from Iceland. In June 1945, No. 162 left Reykjavik after nearly eighteen months and flew back to Canada. The squadron was disbanded at Sydney on 7 August 1945.

Serial numbers of the squadron’s aircraft are: –

Canso A, S/N 9746, 9754 ’P’, 9759 ‘W’, 9766, 9767 ‘S’, 9779, 9791, 9816 ‘T’,

9837, 9841 ‘A’, 9842 ‘B’, 11039, 11056, 11061, 11066, 11076, 11089, 11090, 11091, 11094, 11096.

No. 3(BR) Operational Training Unit at Patricia Bay, B.C., was formerly No. 13(OT) Squadron, but was disbanded and reformed as No. 3(BR) OTU on 3 November 1942. This unit operated several types of aircraft but the main type during 1943-45 was the Canso, of which it had more than 35 on strength during its service career.

Serial numbers of its Catalinas and Cansos are: –

Canso A, S/N 9701, 9705, 9707, 9752, 9762, 9784, 9790, 9792, 9803, 9827, 9838, 111011, 11015, 11021, 11022, 11025, 11030, 11031, 11035, 11037, 11068, 11069, 11071, 11072, 11073, 11083, 11084, 11085, 11086

No. 413(GR) ‘Tusker’ Squadron was formed at Stranraer, Scotland, on 1 July 1941 with Catalinas under the command of W/C V.H. Brantley (RAF). Later, on 19 August, W/C R.G. Breise took command of the squadron. Training continued through August and September, one aircraft being lost on 23 August during night flying training. On 1 October, the squadron moved to Sullom Voe in the Shetlands Islands and became operational. No. 413’s duties were escorting convoys and warships, searching for missing ships and aircraft, flying antisubmarine patrols and sweeps, carrying out special reconnaissance, and performing routine sentry patrol over the vast stretches of the North Sea. While on a reconnaissance to Tromso, Norway, on 22 October, W/C Breise failed to return. He was later succeeded as CO by W/C J.D. Twigg. These patrols average about 10 hours, but flights up to 21 and even 23 hours were recorded. Most of these flights were uneventful, but were carried out in the usually bad weather of the area throughout the winter of 1941-42.

During March 1942, the squadron passed under the command of W/C J.L. Plant and the squadron was transferred to Ceylon. The first of four Catalinas to fly to Koggala, Ceylon, arriving on 28 March, was flown by F/L R. Thomas (RAF) the second by S/L L.J. Birchall on 2 April the other two – one flown by he CO – arrived on the 6 th . Another four arrived during May. Meanwhile the first operational flight from their new base was carried out on the night of 2/3 April by F/L Thomas. On 4 April, Birchall, in Catalina AJ155 ‘A’, spotted the Japanese fleet and warned Ceylon of the attack, but was shot down and taken prisoner before the location of the fleet could be radioed. F/L Thomas located the fleet and was able to radio the location before his aircraft was shot down and all the crew killed.

After the withdrawal of the Japanese fleet, No. 413 settled down to routine duties much the same as before over the North Sea. Patrols ranged over the Bay of Bengal as far east as the Straits of Malacca and over the Indian Ocean as far west as the east coast of Africa. To cover this vast area, detachments were based on the Seychelles Islands, at Diego Garcia Island in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and at Addu Atoll in the Maldive Island group. Also aircraft were based at Mombasa in Kenya, Aden, Bahrein in the Persian Gulf, and at Langaban in South Africa justifiably the ‘Tuskers’ claim to be the most widely dispersed squadron in the RCAF.

On the night of 20/21 December 1942, W/C J.C. Scott bombed the harbor of Koetaradja, Sumatra, having been airborne for 17½ hours, covering over 2,000 miles. While based in Ceylon the Catalina’s normal patrol period average more than 16 hours, but on a special photographic mission F/L G.H. Bayly and crew, in Catalina ‘F – for – Freddy’, were airborne for nearly 28 hours and flew more than 3,000 miles. During May and June 1943, crews of No. 413 were making flights to Perth, Australia, for BOAC, re-opening the air route from the U.K. to Australia.

In the anti-submarine role no enemy subs were sunk, but four attacks were made. On 26 August 1942, F/O O.G. Roberts made an attack, but his depth charges failed to release during early 1943, Bayly attacked a submarine with no results. F/O J.R. Gowans, on 3 November 1943, attacked a sub and managed to cripple it but his aircraft was so badly damaged and low on fuel that he was not able to finish it off. On 27 December, F/O J.S. Grandin attacked and ‘probably damaged’ a enemy submarine. A few more sightings were made but lost before attacks could be made. In the air-sea rescue work, the squadron was able to locate and effect the rescue of a considerable number of submarine victims as well as ditched aircrews.

The squadron continued on these duties throughout 1944 and, on 4 December 1944, returned to the United Kingdom by ship. All personnel went on leave before beginning conversion training as a bomber squadron but the war ended before this could be done. While undergoing conversion, the squadron was disbanded at Bournemouth, Hants on 18 February 1945.

Serial numbers of No. 413’s aircraft are: –

Catalina Mk. I, S/N W8434 ‘F’, AJ155 ‘A’

No. 422 (GR) ‘Flying Yachtsmen’ Squadron was formed at Lough Erie, Northern Ireland, on 2 April 1942, under the command of W/C L.W. Skey, D.F.C. They first trained on Lerwick I flying boats and later Catalinas, the squadron being operational by the end of August. One of the first duties of the squadron was to ferry key personnel, equipment and spares to northern Russia. This was carried out by three Catalina crews. Also while in transit they patrolled the route of the Russian convoys, on the watch for submarines and surface raiders operating off the coast of Norway. One Catalina flown by W/O L.W.C. Limpert, made several flights to Russia and at one time arrived at his Russian base while an air raid was in progress. Later the squadron handed over their Catalinas to another squadron and eleven crews left for Canada to ferry over more Catalinas to Britain. When these crews returned they began training on Sunderlands during the winer of 1942-43.

No. 13(PR) Squadron at Rockcliffe, Ont. operated a few Cansos on mapping operations in the Arctic. In 1946 F/L J.F. Drake, flying a Canso, rediscovered Spicer Islands north of Hudson Bay which had been ‘lost’ for nearly fifty years. On 1 April 1947, No. 13 was redesignated as No. 413(PR) Squadron.

No. 408(PR) ‘Goose’ Squadron was reformed at Rockcliffe on 10 January 1949 for aerial mapping of Canada’s northland. Operating from Rockcliffe, it formed part of No. 22 Photographic Wing and flew a mixed bag of aircraft. A few Cansos were used as well as Lancasters, Norsemen and Dakotas. Later the squadron used only the Lancasters 10P on their aerial mapping operations.

Serial numbers of two of their Cansos were 11042 and 11100.

No. 413(PR) ‘Tusker’ Squadron, formerly No. 13(PR) Squadron, operated out of Rockcliffe on aerial mapping of the Arctic regions. It formed part of NO. 22 Photographic Wing under the command of No.9 Transport Group. This squadron flew Cansos along with a mixture of Lancasters, Dakotas, Norsemen, and Mitchells. Cansos of No. 413 also took part in search-and-rescue work and also assisted in airlifting supplies during the floods in the Winnipeg are in 1950. It was the Cansos of No. 413 that pioneered the use of JATO (jet assisted take off) for northern operations. On 1 April 1949, the squadron became a Survey Transport Squadron and on 31 October 1950 was disbanded.

Serial numbers of their Cansos are: –

Canso A, S/N 11003, 11005, 11074, 11079, 11093.

No. 123(S&R) Squadron (later No. 121(S&R) Flight) at Sea Island, B.C. used Cansos in their search-and-rescue work during 1945-47. Serial numbers of one of their Cansos was 11063.

No. 102(S&R) Flight at Trenton, Ont., operated a few Cansos in their rescue duties. Serial number of one of their Cansos was 11089.

No. 103(S&R) flight at Greenwood, N.S., flew three Canso on search-and-rescue work. Code letters were QZ and a serial number of one of their Cansos was 11047.

No. 111(S&R) Flight at Winnipeg also operated some Cansos for various duties.